Saturday, March 10, 2012

#2 WB2 Brown Leaf Dragon 53

This is the first sketch I drew in my new book. Naturally I had to draw a leaf dragon...

It's been raining and gray lately, flooding, etc., so perhaps that is why I chose browns. He would definitely blend in with the reddish-brown soil we have around here. Or, maybe, he's just been splattered or been rolling in the mud :D

The pages in my new book are whiter and wider than my old one. I definitely like the whiteness and the extra space is great too.  My pencil lines are digging into the paper a bit more than the old book, so I think I am going to have to switch to a softer pencil or face quit a bit of line clean-up like I did for this fellow. In the original the the whiteness of the scar lines don't show up too bad, but when I scanned the drawing they were quite distracting. After I scan a drawing, I put it into Photoshop to clean it up a bit and in doing so I blow the thing up a lot. Every imperfection shows up. It can be tricky to keep the texture of the pencil and paper while getting rid of stray marks and smears. Therefore, the better the original, the less end processing work, and I don't know about you, but I'm all for less work :D

Have a great day!

Theta

2 comments:

retro said...

What a cutie! Not only has he a goatee but you´ve given him very decorative ringlets too. He´s got more of a 3D look than the others, almost as if he were carved out of granite.

Theta said...

Thanks, retro!

It must be the new book with its nice white paper ;)